NerdPress is seeking a high-level technical support engineer with deep WordPress knowledge and outstanding communication skills to join our client support team. We’re looking for someone who has a love of learning, enjoys teaching, and gets excited and energized by solving problems.
There are two kinds of nerds…
1. There’s the nerd who fixes your computer, gives it back to you, and makes you feel awful because you don’t know what you’re doing.
2. Then there’s the other kind of nerd – the one that fixes your computer, and then goes out of their way to explain what they did, empowering you to help keep it from breaking again.
If you hadn’t already guessed, we’re that second kind of nerd. And if you are too, keep reading!
People rarely remember the details, but they always remember how you make them feel.
NerdPress has a reputation for phenomenal customer support, and we expect everyone on the team to help us expand upon that reputation. We want every interaction with our clients to leave them feeling good.
We are focused on long-term, personal relationships with our clients – so we’re looking for someone to join the team for the long-term, getting to know our clients and helping them thrive.
Ok, so… what’s a “Support Nerd?”
We help hundreds of clients with their high-traffic via our WordPress Support Plans. The main focus of this position is supporting our clients, troubleshooting a wide variety of issues with WordPress sites.
In general, you should have a strong understanding of both the back end and front end of WordPress development, and the ability find a resolution to any issue that arises.
What you’ll actually be doing in this role:
- Your day will generally include emailing with clients throughout the day, triaging incoming support requests, proactively following up as needed, setting up and maintaining our services, and checking on conversations in our private Facebook group for clients.
- Answering client support inquiries via email, providing personalized service that helps our clients find a resolution to their problem or concern.
- This may include giving advice and answering questions, or it may require performing small technical tasks directly on the sites. Examples include CSS customizations; providing plugin recommendations and best practice advice; basic PHP editing (implementing code snippets or small customizations), SEO advice, speed optimization recommendations, and lots more.
- Helping with new client onboarding — setting up our services, while communicating throughout to ensure we make a fantastic first impression and build their trust.
- Collaborating with the rest of our team and other service providers, all in service of getting the best possible outcome for everyone involved. (Most of our internal communication is on Slack, and also Zoom or Slack Huddles when that makes more sense.)
- Responding to various alerts & notifications from our services, such as security alerts, downtime on sites, and addressing any hiccups.
- You may also be helping with other maintenance tasks as needed, including running plugin updates on our clients’ sites.
- Embracing NerdPress’ Core Values, and using them to guide your actions and decisions.
- Although we don’t officially provide support on weekends, you’ll need to be available to be “on call” for emergencies on occasional weekends (schedule TBD with the rest of the team).
- Depending on your desires, experience, and aptitude, your role could be expanded to include documentation, writing blog posts, plugin or other product development, and/or systems and process development.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in American English.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent WordPress Skills (at least “advanced,” if not “expert.” You are confident working with hooks & filters and code snippets, and know how WordPress “thinks”).
- Highly confident, advanced troubleshooting skills.
- High attention to detail
- Intermediate-level CSS (CSS customization; comfort with identifying, troubleshooting, and editing existing CSS).
- Intermediate-level PHP (be able to read a function and maybe see where it’s broken, work with WordPress hooks, troubleshoot error messages).
- WordPress Theme Customization (knowledge of template structure, general theming, child themes).
- General understanding of web hosting, and domain & DNS setup/management.
- Comfortable in Browser Developer Tools (mainly for troubleshooting CSS, JS, and network issues).
Required Personality Traits:
- Love of learning.
- Enjoy teaching and helping others.
- Excited and energized by problem-solving.
- Self-starter, motivated, and fast learner.
- Good at researching and comfortable with asking questions about things you don’t (yet) know.
- Calm under pressure.
- Team Player.
- Sense of responsibility for actions & inactions.
- Patient and understanding with customers who don’t “get” tech.
- Reliable and Trustworthy.
- Friendly and good sense of humor.
Our vision is to be the best support team on the planet.
We celebrate others, working together every day to maintain a supportive culture where everyone finds gratitude, belonging, joy, and fulfillment. We build trust through transparency, integrity, empathy, care, and respect. We give each other the space to grow, innovate, and be ourselves – and we share a sense of purpose, appreciating how each of us contributes to our common goals.
Bonus Points If…
- Prior customer service experience.
- You’ve coded a plugin or theme.
- Knowledge of servers & web hosting.
- Experience with site speed optimization and Google PageSpeed Insights.
- UI/UX/Accessibility expertise.
- You geek out when you learn there’s an API, so you can script-all-the-things!
- Optimization and efficiency is second-nature to you, always trying to see if there’s a better or faster way to accomplish a task.
- Familiar with Git & Github.
- Comfortable changing Nameservers and DNS entries (and know how to do it so there’s no downtime during propagation!).
- Significant experience working with and troubleshooting WooCommerce.
- You actually like working with WooCommerce, too.
- You’re an active contributor in the WordPress community (core contributor, speaker at WordCamp, plugin author, etc.).
- You have a blog (better yet, a food or lifestyle blog!), and understand blogging “best practices.”
- You love dogs and/or beekeeping and/or kombucha-making. When you submit your application, include a photo of your favorite dog (or animal). Or your favorite kombucha.
One of our core values is “Take Good Care.” This means we take good care of not only our clients, but also ourselves and each other. Providing good benefits to our team are an important way in which we do that.
- Two weeks paid vacation each year.
- Fourteen paid holidays.
- Health Reimbursement Agreement.
- 401(k) retirement account with 4% matching contributions.
- Year-end bonuses.
- Paid sick leave and short-term disability insurance.
- Family leave and bereavement leave.
- Technology/equipment budget — we want you to be able to do your job efficiently and effectively (and ergonomically), so the right tools are a must!
- Internet & Cell Phone reimbursement — we’ll cover the cost of your primary internet service and (most of) your cell phone bill.
- Some flexibility in hours – while we do need to provide consistent support coverage, there is a good amount of flexibility in how you can structure your day, especially if you coordinate in advance with the rest of the team.
- Bonus for speaking or volunteering at your local WordCamp (or we’ll cover your cost to attend).
- Educational expenses, such as books, courses, or training programs.
- Being part of a small company means you have room to grow and make your mark.
- We get to know our clients well, and it’s quite satisfying to help them grow and succeed.
- We’re nice people to work with (and are really good at posting the perfect Slackmojis).
Who is NerdPress?
We help people do what they love so they can lead richer, more fulfilling lives.
We believe websites should empower people to build a better life. That might mean more money, more flexibility, or more freedom – or simply sharing your passion with others. Yet all too often for site owners, technology gets in the way and ruins all the fun.
But we nerd out on the tech stuff! We love solving problems because we’re born fixers, driven by curiosity and learning. We then share our experiences and expertise to support our clients, each other, and the community. It’s a perfect pairing – we help our clients do more of what they love by doing what we love, so we all thrive.
There are currently eighteen of us on the NerdPress team. We work as a close-knit team on customer support, customer onboarding, tweaking, fixing, updating and anything else that needs doing. We support hundreds of sites; the majority of our clients are food bloggers, however we also have clients in other niches, including crafting, e-commerce, philanthropy, non-profits, and more.
Logistics & Timing
- This is a full-time employee position (approx. 40 hours/week).
- Location: 100% Remote, but you must be based in the United States.
- Strong preference is given if you live in one of these states (since we already have team members in these states): California, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, or Washington.
- Application Deadline: March 15, 2021.
We Embrace Diversity
We strive to create a sustainable culture of inclusion and respect at NerdPress, where everyone is valued, has a sense of belonging, finds fulfillment, and thrives. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. Please check out our full Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Policy here.
Are you in? Here’s how to apply:
Before applying, please be sure to read this job description carefully. Applicants who have clearly not read the job description or do not meet the requirements will not be considered.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: WordPress Technical Support Position
Provide the following details in your email by copy/pasting these prompts and filling them out:
Your personal pronouns:
Your Location & Time Zone:
Links to your resume and/or LinkedIn page:
Link to your website:
Link to your wordpress.org profile:
Links to relevant previous work:
Have you coded a plugin or theme? If so, provide relevant links:
Describe your experience and level of expertise with the following:
- WordPress use
- WordPress development
- DNS and Cloudflare
- Site Speed Optimization and Caching
- Chrome Developer Tools
- Anything else you’re experienced and/or expert at?
Have you provided customer support and/or technical product support before? If so, please describe and send any relevant links.
What is your availability/when would you be able to start?
How did you hear about this job?
What is your desired salary?
Please include anything else you’d like us to know.
Thanks for applying!