We’re not currently looking to hire for this position, but we always like to keep an eye out for great talent! If you’re based in the United States, and would be interested in working with us, please fill out the application below and we’ll keep your info on file when it’s time to grow the team. Thanks!
NerdPress is seeking a WordPress site speed expert to help keep our clients’ sites up-to-speed. We’re looking for someone who pays attention to details, is proactive, gets excited and energized by solving problems, has a love of learning, and enjoys teaching.
There are two kinds of nerds…
1. There’s the nerd who fixes your computer, gives it back to you, and makes you feel awful because you don’t know what you’re doing.
2. Then there’s the other kind of nerd – the one that fixes your computer, and then goes out of their way to explain what they did, empowering you to help keep it from breaking again.
If you hadn’t already guessed, we’re that second kind of nerd. And if you are too, keep reading.
People rarely remember the details, but they always remember how you make them feel.
NerdPress has a reputation for phenomenal customer support, and we expect everyone on the team to help us expand upon that reputation. We want every interaction with our clients to leave them feeling good.
What’s a “Site Speed and Core Web Vitals Nerd?”
As part of our WordPress Support Plans, we perform various site speed optimization tasks on our clients’ sites.
You’ll be helping to improve site speed and Core Web Vitals metrics on a range of high-traffic sites — doing your best to make sure our clients’ sites are blazing fast.
Using a variety of tools and WordPress plugins, you’ll optimize site speed and fix layout shifts, and provide recommendations for additional changes that could help improve performance.
Your day will generally include evaluating site speed and Core Web Vitals issues on client sites, optimizing and improving those sites, and communicating about all of this with clients and the rest of team.
- You should have…
- Excellent WordPress Skills (at least “advanced,” if not “expert.”)
- A strong understanding of how WordPress themes and plugins are coded.
- Significant experience with site speed optimization for WordPress, including the WP Rocket and Perfmatters plugins.
- Intermediate CSS (CSS customization; comfort with identifying, troubleshooting, and editing existing CSS — especially as it relates to layout shifts)
- Experience with Browser Developer Tools, PageSpeed Insights, Web Page Test, and other testing tools to help identify and solve speed issues.
- Strong written communication skills (in American English).
- You’ll embrace our company Core Values, using them to guide your actions and decisions.
- Depending on your experience, aptitude, and desire, there is potential for advancement within the company.
Required Personality Traits:
- Self-starter, motivated, and fast learner
- Methodical, with a high attention to detail
- Enjoy helping others
- Team player
- Excited and energized by problem-solving
- Calm under pressure
- Sense of responsibility for actions & inactions
- Reliable and Trustworthy
- Friendly and a good sense of humor
- Optimization and efficiency is second nature for you, always trying to see if there’s a better or faster way to accomplish a task.
- Experience with Cloudflare.
- You’re an active contributor in the WordPress community.
- You’ve coded a plugin or theme.
- You have a blog (better yet, a food or lifestyle blog!), and understand blogging “best practices.”
- You love animals and/or beekeeping and/or kombucha-making. When you submit your application, include a photo of your favorite animal. Or your favorite kombucha.
- 401(k) with 4% matching contributions.
- Two weeks paid vacation each year.
- Fourteen paid holidays.
- Health reimbursement agreement.
- Sick leave and short-term disability coverage.
- Family leave and bereavement leave.
- Technology/equipment budget — we want you to be able to do your job efficiently and effectively, so the right tools are a must!
- Internet reimbursement — we’ll cover the cost of your primary internet service each month.
- Flexible hours — though we’d prefer if you’re generally online at the same time we are (Monday through Friday, during the day).
- Year-end bonuses and 401(k) profit sharing.
- Bonus for speaking or volunteering at your local WordCamp (or we’ll cover your cost to attend).
- Educational expenses, such as books, courses, or training programs.
- We’re a small company, so you have room to grow and make your mark.
- We get to know our clients well, and it’s quite satisfying to help them grow and succeed.
- We’re nice people to work with (and are really good at posting awesome giphys on Slack).
Logistics & Timing
- This is a full-time employee position.
- Location: 100% Remote, but you must be based in the United States.
- Starting salary: $55,000 to $75,000 per year, depending on experience.
- Application Deadline: April 30, 2022.
We Embrace Diversity
We strive to create a sustainable culture of inclusion and respect at NerdPress, where everyone is valued, has a sense of belonging, finds fulfillment, and thrives. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. Please check out our full Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Policy here.
Who is NerdPress?
There are currently thirteen of us on the NerdPress team. We work as a close-knit team on customer support, customer onboarding, coding, and anything else that needs doing. We support hundreds of sites; the majority of our clients are food bloggers, however, we also have clients in other niches, including crafting, e-commerce, philanthropy, non-profits, and more.
Ready to join the team? Here’s how to apply:
Before applying, please be sure to read this job description carefully — but even if you don’t match 100% of the job description, if you think you might be a good fit, we encourage you to apply!
Email email@example.com with the subject: WordPress Site Speed Nerd
Provide the following details in your email by copy/pasting these prompts and filling them out:
Your personal pronouns (he, she, they, etc.):
Your Location & Time Zone:
Links to your resume and/or LinkedIn page:
Link to your website:
Link to your wordpress.org profile:
Links to relevant previous work:
Describe your experience and level of expertise with:
- Site Speed Optimization
- WP Rocket
- Chrome Developer Tools
- Anything else you’re experienced and/or expert at?
What are your favorite tools for speeding up a WordPress site?
What is your availability/when would you be able to start?
How did you hear about this job?
Please include anything else you’d like us to know.
Thanks for applying!