There are two kinds of nerds…
1. There’s the nerd who fixes your computer, gives it back to you, and makes you feel awful because you don’t know what you’re doing.
2. Then there’s the other kind of nerd – the one that fixes your computer, and then goes out of their way to explain what they did, empowering you to help keep it from breaking again.
If you hadn’t already guessed, we’re that second kind of nerd. And if you are too, keep reading.
What’s a “Site Speed and Core Web Vitals Nerd?”
As part of our WordPress Support Plans, we perform various site speed optimization tasks on our clients sites.
You’ll be helping to improve site speed and Core Web Vitals metrics on a range of high-traffic sites — doing your best to make sure our clients’ sites are blazing fast.
Using a variety of tools, including our upcoming proactive monitoring tools, you’ll adjust WP Rocket plugin settings to best fit for each site, perform other speed optimization tasks, and provide recommendations for additional changes that could help improve site speed.
Your day will generally include evaluating site speed and Core Web Vitals issues on assigned sites, performing specific fixes to help optimize sites, and outline recommendations for additional optimizations that might be outside the scope of our plans.
- You should have…
- Excellent WordPress Skills (at least “advanced,” if not “expert.”)
- Significant experience with site speed optimization for WordPress, including the WP Rocket plugin.
- Intermediate CSS (CSS customization; comfort with identifying, troubleshooting, and editing existing CSS)
- Experience with Browser Developer Tools, Google PageSpeed Insights, Web Page Test, and other testing tools to help identify and solve speed issues.
- You’ll embrace our company Core Values, using them to guide your actions and decisions.
- Depending on your experience, desire, and aptitude, there is potential for advancement within the company.
Required Personality Traits:
- Self-starter, motivated, and fast learner
- Methodical, with a high attention to detail
- Enjoy helping others
- Excited and energized by problem-solving
- Calm under pressure
- Sense of responsibility for actions & inactions
- Reliable and Trustworthy
- Good sense of humor
- Optimization and efficiency is second nature for you, always trying to see if there’s a better or faster way to accomplish a task.
- Experience with Cloudflare.
- You’re an active contributor in the WordPress community.
- You’ve coded a plugin or theme.
- You have a blog (better yet, a food or lifestyle blog!), and understand blogging “best practices.”
- You love dogs and/or beekeeping and/or kombucha-making. When you submit your application, include a photo of your favorite dog (or animal). Or your favorite kombucha.
Logistics & Timing
- This is a contractor position, with the potential to expand into an employee position.
- Location: Remote, but you must be based in the United States.
- Schedule: Specific working hours are flexible, but we’d prefer if you’re online at the same time we are, which is Monday through Friday, during the day.
- Application Deadline: March 15, 2021.
We Embrace Diversity
We strive to create a sustainable culture of inclusion and respect at NerdPress, where everyone is valued, has a sense of belonging, finds fulfillment, and thrives. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. Please check out our full Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Policy here.
Who is NerdPress?
There are currently seven of us on the NerdPress team — founder Andrew Wilder (yep, the guy in the cartoons), plus Heather, Sergio, Kari, Ben, Chynna, and Trevor. We work as a close-knit crew on customer support, customer onboarding, coding, and anything else that needs doing. We support hundreds of sites; the majority of our clients are food bloggers, however we also have clients in other niches, including crafting, e-commerce, philanthropy, non-profits, and more.
Are you in? Here’s how to apply:
Before applying, please be sure to read this job description carefully. Applicants who have clearly not read the job description will not be considered.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: WordPress Site Speed Nerd
Provide the following details in your email by copy/pasting these prompts and filling them out:
Your personal pronouns (he, she, they, etc.):
Your Location & Time Zone:
Links to your resume and/or LinkedIn page:
Link to your website:
Link to your wordpress.org profile:
Links to relevant previous work:
Describe your experience and level of expertise with:
- Site Speed Optimization
- WP Rocket
- Chrome Developer Tools
- Anything else you’re experienced and/or expert at?
What are your favorite tools for speeding up a WordPress site?
What is your availability/when would you be able to start?
How did you hear about this job?
What is your desired hourly rate?
Please include anything else you’d like us to know.
Thanks for applying!