We’re not currently looking to hire for this position, but we always like to keep an eye out for great talent! If you’re based in the United States, and would be interested in working with us, please fill out the application below and we’ll keep your info on file when it’s time to grow the team. Thanks!
NerdPress is seeking a WordPress technician to join our team, taking responsibility for keeping our clients’ sites updated. We’re looking for someone who is proactive, pays attention to details, is calm under pressure, and gets excited and energized by solving problems.
There are two kinds of nerds…
1. There’s the nerd who fixes your computer, gives it back to you, and makes you feel awful because you don’t know what you’re doing.
2. Then there’s the other kind of nerd – the one that fixes your computer, and then goes out of their way to explain what they did, empowering you to help keep it from breaking again.
If you hadn’t already guessed, we’re that second kind of nerd. And if you are too, keep reading.
People rarely remember the details, but they always remember how you make them feel.
NerdPress has a reputation for phenomenal customer support, and we expect everyone on the team to help us expand upon that reputation. We want every interaction with our clients to leave them feeling good (even if that interaction happens “behind the scenes”).
What’s an “Updates Nerd?”
As part of our WordPress Support Plans, we perform updates on hundreds of client sites each week.
You’ll be in charge of updating WordPress core and plugins on a range of high-traffic sites — doing your best to minimize interruption to the sites and quickly fixing any issues that may arise after those updates.
We don’t rely on “auto-updates” — instead, we employ a “human-managed” safe update process, making sure that our clients’ sites are still working properly after updates are performed. Therefore, you should have a strong understanding of WordPress and the update process, and the confidence to troubleshoot any issues that may arise related to updates.
Your day will generally include determining which new WordPress updates are available, reviewing changelogs and bug reports for potential issues, determining which updates should be run, communicating with the team about the latest news, actually running the updates, and doing post-update quality assurance testing.
- You should have…
- At least “intermediate” WordPress skills and knowledge.
- Mad troubleshooting skills.
- General understanding of servers and web hosting, including SFTP.
- We may also ask for your help with other site maintenance tasks.
- You’ll embrace our company Core Values, using them to guide your actions and decisions.
- Depending on your experience, aptitude, and desire there is potential for advancement within the company.
Required Personality Traits:
- Self-starter, motivated, and fast learner
- Methodical, with a high attention to detail
- Enjoy helping others
- Excited and energized by problem-solving
- Calm under pressure
- Good at researching and comfortable with asking questions about things you don’t (yet) know
- Sense of responsibility for actions & inactions
- Reliable and Trustworthy
- Good sense of humor
- Optimization and efficiency is second nature for you, always trying to see if there’s a better or faster way to accomplish a task.
- You’re an active contributor in the WordPress community.
- You’ve coded a plugin or theme.
- You have a blog (better yet, a food or lifestyle blog!), and understand blogging “best practices.”
- You love animals and/or beekeeping and/or kombucha-making. When you submit your application, include a photo of your favorite animal. Or your favorite kombucha.
- 401(k) with 4% matching contributions.
- Year-end bonuses and 401(k) profit sharing.
- Paid sick leave and short-term disability insurance.
- Technology/equipment budget — we want you to be able to do your job efficiently and effectively, so the right tools are a must!
- Internet reimbursement — we’ll cover the cost of your primary internet service each month.
- Flexibility in hours – while we do need you to work during our regular business hours, this position will enjoy a certain level of flexibility in self-managing work times.
- Bonus for speaking or volunteering at your local WordCamp (or we’ll cover your cost to attend).
- Educational expenses, such as books, courses, or training programs.
- Small company means you have room to grow and make your mark.
- We’re nice people to work with (and are really good at posting awesome giphys on Slack).
Logistics & Timing
- Salary Range: $20 to $25/hour, based on experience.
- Location: 100% Remote, but you must be based in the United States.
- Time commitment: Part-time (anticipated at 20-28 hours/week) or possibly Full-time if desired.
- You’ll be an employee, not a contractor.
- Schedule: Monday through Thursday, during the day. Specific working hours within that are flexible.
- Application Deadline: April 30, 2022.
We Embrace Diversity
We strive to create a sustainable culture of inclusion and respect at NerdPress, where everyone is valued, has a sense of belonging, finds fulfillment, and thrives. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. Please check out our full Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Policy here.
Who is NerdPress?
There are currently thirteen of us on the NerdPress team. We work as a close-knit team on customer support, customer onboarding, coding, and anything else that needs doing. We support hundreds of sites; the majority of our clients are food bloggers, however we also have clients in other niches, including crafting, e-commerce, philanthropy, non-profits, and more.
Ready to join the team? Here’s how to apply:
Before applying, please be sure to read this job description carefully — but even if you don’t match 100% of the job description, if you think you might be a good fit, we encourage you to apply!
Email email@example.com with the subject: WordPress Updates Nerd
Provide the following details in your email by copy/pasting these prompts and filling them out:
Your personal pronouns (he, she, they, etc.):
Your Location & Time Zone:
Links to your resume and/or LinkedIn page:
Link to your website:
Link to your wordpress.org profile:
Links to relevant previous work:
Describe your experience and level of expertise with the following:
- Chrome Developer Tools
- Anything else you’re experienced and/or expert at?
Have you provided website maintenance or technical product support before? If so, please describe and send any relevant links.
What is your availability/when would you be able to start?
How did you hear about this job?
What is your desired salary?
Please include anything else you’d like us to know.
Thanks for applying!