There are two kinds of nerds…
1. There’s the nerd who fixes your computer, gives it back to you, and makes you feel awful because you don’t know what you’re doing.
2. Then there’s the other kind of nerd – the one that fixes your computer, and then goes out of their way to explain what they did, empowering you to help keep it from breaking again.
If you hadn’t already guessed, we’re that second kind of nerd. And if you are too, keep reading.
People rarely remember the details, but they always remember how you make them feel.
NerdPress has a reputation for phenomenal customer support, and we expect everyone on the team to help us expand upon that reputation. We want every interaction with our clients to leave them feeling good (even if that interaction happens “behind the scenes”).
What’s an “Updates Nerd?”
As part of our WordPress Support Plans, we perform updates on hundreds of client sites each week.
You’ll be in charge of updating WordPress core and plugins on a range of high-traffic sites — doing your best to minimize interruption to the sites, and quickly fixing any issues that may arise after those updates.
We don’t rely on “auto-updates” — instead, we employ a “human-managed” safe update process, making sure that our clients’ sites are still working properly after updates are performed. Therefore, you should have a strong understanding of WordPress and the updates process, and the confidence to troubleshoot any issues that may arise related to updates.
Your day will generally include determining which new WordPress updates are available, reviewing change logs and bug reports for potential issues, determining which updates should be run, communicating with the team about the latest news, actually running the updates, and doing post-update quality assurance testing.
- You should have…
- At least “intermediate” WordPress skills and knowledge.
- Mad troubleshooting skills.
- Working knowledge of servers and web hosting (including SFTP/SSH and the command line).
- We may also ask for your help with other site maintenance tasks.
- You’ll embrace our company Core Values, using them to guide your actions and decisions.
- Depending on your experience, desire, and aptitude, there is potential for advancement within the company.
Required Personality Traits:
- Self-starter, motivated, and fast learner
- Methodical, with a high attention to detail
- Enjoy helping others
- Excited and energized by problem-solving
- Calm under pressure
- Sense of responsibility for actions & inactions
- Reliable and Trustworthy
- Good sense of humor
- Optimization and efficiency is second nature for you, always trying to see if there’s a better or faster way to accomplish a task.
- You’re an active contributor in the WordPress community.
- You’ve coded a plugin or theme.
- You have a blog (better yet, a food or lifestyle blog!), and understand blogging “best practices.”
- You love dogs and/or beekeeping and/or kombucha-making. When you submit your application, include a photo of your favorite dog (or animal). Or your favorite kombucha.
- 401(k) with matching contributions.
- Sick leave, family leave, and bereavement leave.
- Remote position – work anywhere with fast & reliable internet.
- Flexibility in hours – while we do need you to work during our regular business hours, this position will enjoy a certain level of flexibility in self-managing work times.
- Bonus for speaking or volunteering at your local WordCamp (or we’ll cover your cost to attend).
- Small company means you have room to grow and make your mark.
- We’re nice people to work with (and are really good at posting awesome giphys on Slack).
Logistics & Timing
- Salary Range: $20 to $25/hour, based on experience.
- Location: Remote position, but you must be based in the United States.
- Time commitment: Part-time (anticipated at 20 hours/week, though this may grow over time).
- Schedule: Monday through Thursday, during the day. Specific working hours are flexible.
- Application Deadline: March 15, 2021.
We Embrace Diversity
We strive to create a sustainable culture of inclusion and respect at NerdPress, where everyone is valued, has a sense of belonging, finds fulfillment, and thrives. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. Please check out our full Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Policy here.
Who is NerdPress?
There are currently seven of us on the NerdPress team — founder Andrew Wilder (yep, the guy in the cartoons), plus Heather, Sergio, Kari, Ben, Chynna, and Trevor. We work as a close-knit crew on customer support, customer onboarding, coding, and anything else that needs doing. We support hundreds of sites; the majority of our clients are food bloggers, however we also have clients in other niches, including crafting, e-commerce, philanthropy, non-profits, and more.
Are you in? Here’s how to apply:
Before applying, please be sure to read this job description carefully. Applicants who have clearly not read the job description or do not meet the requirements will not be considered.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: WordPress Updates Nerd
Provide the following details in your email by copy/pasting these prompts and filling them out:
Your personal pronouns:
Your Location & Time Zone:
Links to your resume and/or LinkedIn page:
Link to your website:
Link to your wordpress.org profile:
Links to relevant previous work:
Describe your experience and level of expertise with the following:
- Chrome Developer Tools
- Anything else you’re experienced and/or expert at?
Have you provided website maintenance or technical product support before? If so, please describe and send any relevant links.
What is your availability/when would you be able to start?
How did you hear about this job?
What is your desired salary?
Please include anything else you’d like us to know.
Thanks for applying!